Fickle as the weather in Hong Kong, the body’s blood sugar changes from time to time and differs from one person to another. Glucose levels depend mainly on the amount of carbohydrates consumed and the intensity of activity done. Because sugar levels play an important role in maintaining normal body functions and processes, it is highly important to keep them within their normal levels. Therefore, here are ways on how to keep blood glucose levels not too high nor low:
- Exercise Research shows that people who exercise at least three times a week have stabilized blood sugar levels as compared to those who do not. During exercise, the body works by utilizing glucose present in blood and converting it to energy to perform physical tasks.
- Weight loss Overweight or obese people have unstable blood sugar levels as compared to those with normal weight. Overnutrition is the result of the body’s failure to utilize stored fats and glucose into energy. It may either due to the imbalance between food consumption and energy conversion. He or she might have been practicing sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy eating behaviors at the same time. Excessive weight might also predispose a person to certain non-communicable diseases such as hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and even cardiac disorders.
- Diet As what was mentioned, glucose levels depend on the food people eat. Immediately after eating, the body’s blood sugar spikes at its peak and eventually lowers down once all needed sugar are stored and all needed energy are used. Though there are no food restrictions for people who experience unstable levels of blood sugar, foods with low glycemic index are more recommended to them. These foods have low sugar content and at the same time nutritious.
- Glucose monitoring One way to manage unstable blood sugar levels is to monitor the times when they become high or low. This is to check what particular intervention is needed to address a present glucose-related problem. There are available glucometers in stores and health outlets. As for the modern way of monitoring, Flash glucose monitoring system is trending in Hong Kong. It is a small sensor that attaches to the skin. There is a separate reader that could be swiped over the sensor which would provide the person’s blood glucose levels and trends.
- Regular intake of prescribed medications In case that a person has a consistent increase of blood sugar levels and he or she is clinically diagnosed with Diabetes Mellitus, the patient will be dependent on oral medications to control his or her blood sugar levels for a lifetime. Failure to comply with the treatment regimen would lead to more unstable sugar levels.
A healthy blood sugar level is vital. Without it, the body will not function normally. Always remember that prevention is better than cure. Life is sweeter when spent healthily.